Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Club Sports: Irish host event at Chippewa Bowl

Bowling

The Chippewa Bowl was host to this year's Blue and Gold Classic this weekend. Despite 19 cancellations due to weather and road conditions, 109 teams from schools such as Kansas, North Dakota, Texas, Texas A&M, Florida State and all of the Big 10 participated in the event.

Among tough competition, including one 300 game, the Irish finished 57th , in the field of 66 men's teams.

The Irish team served double duty as competitors and University ambassador hosts. Game six proved to be the squad's highlight as club posted a 1,010 score. Senior Brian Frisch and sophomore Michael Murray led the way with scores of 224, and MBA student Robbie Espiritu added a 205 in that round.

Murray and freshman Kevin Schneider both elevated their games, averaging close to 180 for the tournament. Senior Richard Skelton did very well as he battled a painful injury to roll some games. Had it not been for an opening 119 while testing his knees, he would have averaged in the high 180's.

Overall in men's action, Lindenwood University defeated perennial powerhouse Saginaw Valley State in a close finish, 10,005 to 10,001. Not to be outdone, the women's championship was decided by one pin. Wichita State defeated Robert Morris Illinois, 9,098 to 9,097.

Figure Skating

The Notre Dame Figure Skating club opened competition at the Mid American Synchronized Skating Championships with a third place finish. The Irish program featured music from Billy Joel.

Miami (Ohio) and Lindenwood took the top two places. Finishing in order behind the Irish were Delaware, Ohio, Michigan State, Grand Valley, Ohio State and Northwestern.

The club performed at intermission of the varsity hockey game.

Ski and Snowboarding

A season opening venture to Crystal Mountain, Mich. kicked off the season for the ski and snowboarding club this weekend. Although the club performed well, results have not yet been posted by the MCCSA.

Field Hockey

The club's trip to Ohio State was cancelled due to weather and road conditions.