-

-

Lambda Pi Eta collects clothing

Jillian Barwick | Monday, January 30, 2012

To help the South Bend homeless population combat the cold this winter, Saint Mary’s students are collecting clothing to be given to the Center for the Homeless to distribute.

Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Studies Honor Society, hosted the clothing drive, which concludes at the end of this week.

Senior Alex Davin, president of Lambda Pi Eta at Saint Mary’s, said it felt right to give back to South Bend.

“The main reason we wanted to work with the Center for the Homeless is that we can give back to the local community of South Bend,” Davin said. “Our local community is in need, and it feels right giving South Bend the attention it needs.”

Davin contacted the Center for the Homeless over winter break to see if the Center wanted to collaborate on the clothing drive.

“The Center for the Homeless is always looking for extra clothing, especially during the winter, to give to their guests,” Davin said. “We all know how cold South Bend winters are.”

Peter Lombardo, director of the Center for the Homeless, spoke at a meeting held by Lambda Pi Eta last semester and made some suggestions for the group of women to help out the local South Bend community. He said Lambda Pi Eta and the Center have been in contact since last semester.

“Alex and I spoke a few times about several different opportunities,” Lombardo said. “The clothing drive is the first thing lined up for this semester between Lambda Pi Eta and the Center for the Homeless. The girls of Lambda Pi Eta have done a terrific job so far.”

Davin and other members of Lambda Pi Eta decided a clothing drive on campus would be a great way to give back to the surrounding community.

The clothing collection boxes are located in all residence halls as well as Opus, and the Student Center on Saint Mary’s campus. The drive is open to all men, women and children’s clothing — particularly winter wear — as well as towels.

The Center for the Homeless is also open for weather amnesty, meaning extended hours and capacity, during the winter — another reason why the clothing drive is so important.

“People come to the Center usually with just the clothes on their backs,” Lombardo said. “This clothing drive is a great way for the Center and Saint Mary’s College to help out people in South Bend.”