Mandate is an assault on Church

Christopher Lushis | Tuesday, January 31, 2012

As a Catholic who firmly believes in the Church’s teachings on sexuality morality, I wholeheartedly disagree with the new health care mandate issued by President Obama. This mandate, which calls for all employers, including Catholic hospitals and educational institutions, to provide health insurance that includes prescriptive contraceptives, surgical sterilization and abortifacient drugs to its employees, directly attacks the Church’s pro-life principles. While an exemption is granted to religious groups who employ and serve only those who share their beliefs, the fundamental mission of Catholic-based organizations is to serve all people in need. Not even Jesus himself would qualify for this exemption!

While Catholic colleges are not free of sexual activity, contraceptives have always been excluded from their health care plans. Major contraceptive companies and the almighty Planned Parenthood have been prohibited from cashing in on a market with millions of potential clients. President Obama, a longtime friend of the pro-choice movement and Planned Parenthood, is attempting to force the Church to compromise their principles and comply with orders that defy their consciences. I agree with Bishop Rhodes who called this measure “unconscionable” and “an attempt to force us to violate our rights.” I hope the Bishops throughout the Unites States stand firm in their fight against this discrimination and refuse to comply with this unjust and immoral command.

Christopher Lushis

Class of 2010

Jan. 31