Mass of Remembrance

Jerry Hipp, Ann Hipp et. al. | Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dear Notre Dame Family,

My wife Ann, daughter Doranne and I were hosted by the University at the Mass of Remembrance for Meghan Beeler and Colleen Hipp on Jan. 24. What a special experience for us all. We thank University President Fr. John Jenkins, who presided, and Fr. Malloy for his comforting and healing homily. We were touched by the presence of Haley Scott DeMaria and many other returning swimmers from both the women’s and men’s team of 1992 and the current teams in their Parkas. Thanks also to Kate Barrett, Colleen’s rector in Lewis Hall who was the cantor at the Mass, and the student choir, who participated so beautifully. We met with Professor Patty O’Hara, other faculty and several rescue and police officials who assisted at the time.

While on campus we visited Lewis Hall where a tree and plaque remember Colleen. We visited the Grotto and Meghan’s grave for prayer. We met with Coach Welch and former assistant Randy Julien and visited the lockers still kept locked with Colleen and Meghan’s names affixed.

The amazing love of the greater Notre Dame family has followed us over the 20 years since the accident; all across the country we have met and shared with alumni and friends of Notre Dame their remembrance of the accident.

We thank the entire Notre Dame community for their so-very-unique ability to remember together as a remarkable family, not just at this Mass of Remembrance but for our family over the entire 20 years since the accident.

A special thank you is made to Missy Conboy, senior deputy athletics director at Notre Dame who has been in touch with our family throughout the years and hosted this visit for us.

Thank you most sincerely from our family. You all have kept Colleen and Meghan alive in the history of your great University.

Jerry Hipp

Ann Hipp

Doranne Hipp

Tom Hipp

Jan. 31