-

-

ND Women’s Swimming: Irish falter in double dual meet

Observer Staff Report | Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Despite a two-week training trip to Hawaii in early January, Notre Dame failed to earn a victory at a double dual meet in Ann Arbor on Saturday. The Irish fell to Michigan by a 180-115 margin and narrowly lost to Northwestern 156-144 in their first meet since the Ohio State Invitational in early December.

Freshman swimmer Emma Reaney’s standout performance was one of the bright spots for the Irish. She placed first in four events, winning the 100- (1:01.10) and 200-yard (2:14.77) breaststroke events. Reaney also won the 400-yard Individual Medley with a time of 4:19.13 and helped lead the 400-yard freestyle relay team to victory by swimming the final leg.

Reaney’s efforts earned her the Big East Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Week award for a conference record third time this season.

Notre Dame’s fifth and final event victory came from the diving team. Junior Jenny Chiang continued her strong season by winning the 1-meter diving event by two points over a Michigan diver and placing second in the 3-meter dive.

Sophomore swimmer Sarah Dotzel gave a strong performance, placing second in the 100-yard backstroke. Senior swimmer Amy Prestinario and freshman swimmer Bridget Casey also finished second in the 100-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke, respectively.

However, Notre Dame struggled in the 500-yard and 1000-yard freestyle events, as both Michigan and Northwestern claimed the top five finishes.

The Irish will compete in their penultimate dual meet of the season Saturday when they host Michigan State at Rolf’s Aquatic Center at 2 p.m.