-

-

New to Your Queue

Scene Staff Report | Monday, January 30, 2012

Wading through the excessive amount of horrible films on Instant Netflix can be daunting for any subscriber. To ease the process, Scene has graciously provided a list of the best Netflix has to offer.

“Office Space”

“Office Space” is now on Netflix Instant! This cult comedy classic from writer/director Mike Judge is at once a hilarious satire of the day-to-day grind of office work and the story of bumbling, inept criminal enterprise. Featuring great performances and an endlessly quotable script, “Office Space” is one you don’t want to miss.

“Dirty Harry”

Though not everyone has seen this 1971 classic, every film-watcher is familiar with it, whether they know it or not. Clint Eastwood, in one of his most iconic roles, established the character of the grizzled cop who plays by his own rules. Tracking a serial killer through San Francisco, “Dirty” Harry Callahan found a place in cinema history. You’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I want to watch an awesome movie? Well, do ya, punk?

“Moulin Rouge”

It’s a classic tale of love against the odds. Christian (Ewan McGregor), a poor poet, falls in love with Satine (Nicole Kidman), a beautiful courtesan. Satine dreams of becoming an actress, a dream she can achieve if she sleeps with The Duke (Richard Roxburgh). But alas, she, too, falls in love with Christian, for who can resist a charming man with an incredible voice, even if he is poor? But unfortunately, more troubles await the couple. The music is one of the best parts of this film, so check it out if you are a fan of musicals. Or Ewan McGregor.

“Friday Night Lights”

Everyone’s favorite football show is on Netflix. In the wake of the series finale last year, what better way to relive all your favorite moments or watch it with fresh eyes than spending Super Bowl season hanging out with the folks of Dillon, Texas. Coach, Mrs. Coach and all your favorite team members are waiting in the Netflix archive. Clear eyes, full hearts, Netflix Watch Instantly, can’t lose.

“Louie”

Possibly the most creative show on TV right now, FX’s Louis follows a comedian, played by comedian Louis C.K., as he explores a very normal life as a single father. Written, directed and edited by star C.K., never before has so much creative control been given to one single person on television. And the results have been excellent. Equal parts hilarious and touching, “Louie’s” very real stories of life in the 21st century are some of the truest moments on contemporary television. Not enough people are watching the always-excellent “Louie,” so get on Netflix and change that ASAP.

-

-

New to Your Queue

Scene Staff Report | Monday, January 23, 2012

“Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog”

Neil Patrick Harris showcases his humor and singing talent in this miniseries that he made during the Writer’s Strike in 2008. He plays a supervillain wannabe, trying to prove his capability for evil deeds to the Evil League of Evil. He tries to take down his nemesis, Captain Hammer (Nathan Fillion), and impress his secret crush Penny (Felicia Day), during their meetings in a Laundromat. With singing, dancing and human drama, this miniseries is not to be missed.

“The Guild”

That other series of famous web videos starring Felicia Day. Day, the charming love interest in “Dr. Horrible,” tackles the Internet again in her very own series, “The Guild.” The web series follows a group of gamers as they struggle to balance the real world with their online gaming lives. More than just for nerds, check out four “seasons” of the show on Netflix.

“Young Frankenstein”

For a laugh out loud comedy, check out “Young Frankenstein” on Netflix Instant. From writer/director Mel Brooks, the film is a comedic classic that spoofs the monster movie genre. “Young Frankenstein” is one of those great comedies with infinite re-watchability and instantly quotable lines as well as fantastic performances from Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn and Marty Feldman.

“Downton Abbey”

With a second season only three episodes in on PBS right now, there has never been a better time to catch up on series one of “Downton Abbey.” Head over to Netflix to watch the British hit about a big English countryside estate and its many inhabitants — both upstairs and downstairs. Consisting of only seven episodes, each as engrossing as the one before it, you’ll be caught up with the “Downton” gang before you know it.

“The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret”

David Cross and Will Arnett star in this comedy series about a hapless American businessman, Todd Margaret (Cross), sent to London to sell the energy drink Thunder Muscle. Each episode begins with a scene from Margaret’s trial for a host of offenses and then backtracks to chronicle the titular poor decisions that got him there. The show has a unique trans-Atlantic comedy vibe, with Cross exuding an air that is often hilarious, but always uncomfortable. This is just the show for people who like “Arrested Development” and “Downton Abbey.”