RecSports supports students' New Years Resolutions

New Year's resolutions can be notoriously difficult to maintain throughout the full 365 days of the year, especially when the goals involve personal fitness and exercise.

Although she lacked success in keeping up with past resolutions, junior Colleen Bailey said this year would be different.

"I make similar resolutions to be better about exercising and to improve my fitness every year, but I'm really serious about it this year," she said. "My most tangible goal right now is to run the Holy Half Marathon, so I'll do whatever it takes to get myself to that point."

Jennie Phillips, RecSports Assistant Director of Fitness and Fitness Facilities, said students like Bailey with New Year's fitness resolutions need look no further than RecSports for assistance in meeting their health and exercise goals.

She said RecSports offers students free consultations with RecSports staff for fitness equipment orientation, body composition and blood pressure exams. She said students could also participate in fitness classes, cross-country skiing and various special events sponsored by RecSports throughout the year.

According to the RecSports annual facility usage report, 94 percent of the undergraduate student body used the Rolfs Aquatic Center (RAC), the Rolfs Sports Recreation Center (RSRC) or the Rockne Memorial at least once during the 2010-2011 school year. Phillips said this percentage remained relatively consistent, although RSRC fitness room usage tended to peak in the winter months.

"February is typically our busiest month throughout the year," Phillips said. "I assume some of it is due to New Year's resolutions and spring break preparation, but it's also partly due to the winter weather."

She also recommended writing down goals and scheduling ahead for exercise sessions, in addition to participating in enjoyable activities.

"Play basketball, ice skate, cross-country ski, take a fitness class — whatever works best for you. I would recommend cross-training, or doing different activities, over the course of a week or even a day," she said.

Junior Mike Butler said he and a group of friends were making a collective effort to be more active this year.

"I just want to make an effort to get some physical exercise on a more consistent basis, even if it's just going to play basketball with some friends," he said. "We want to have some fun while staying active."

Although the New Year inspires students to improve personal health at the beginning of each year, Phillips said fitness goals should be made year-round.

"If you need to make a resolution for the motivation, that's great, but hopefully you'll be motivated for other reasons as well, such as overall health, improved sleep, better immune system functioning, stress management and improved concentration," she said.

Students with questions about fitness can contact Phillips at Phillips.42@nd.edu, while general RecSports information is available at recsports.nd.edu