SMC Swimming: Saint Mary's prepares for final third of season

Over the long winter break, the Belles warmed up, as they headed down to Arizona for their annual training trip.

The Belles traveled to Florida for the previous five years, but this year Belles coach Mark Benishek took the team to Arizona State University for a change of scenery.

The main focus of the trip was to train for the Belles' upcoming conference meets and included team conditioning once in the morning and once in the evening, both in and out of the pool. But Saint Mary's also managed to get in some competition.

While in Arizona, the Belles competed in the Citrus Classic on Dec. 30. They took fourth place behind Division II Gannon University (494), Division III GustavusAdolphus College (491), and Division III University of Ottawa (388) and they defeated Division III Hamline University (145).

Leading the Belles was senior Audrey Dalrymple, who took first place in the 400-meter individual medley with a time of 5:02.24. Dalrymple also took seventh in the 100-meter breaststroke with a time of 1:15.66.

Another Belle who turned in a strong individual performance at the meet was senior Megan Price, who finished in sixth place in the 200-meter and the 500-meter freestyle with times of 2:06.65 and 5:43.72, respectively.

Rounding out the individual accolades was freshman Anna Nolan, who garnered an eighth place finish in the 100-meter backstroke with a time of 1:08.02.

The Belles 400-meter freestyle relay team, consisting of Sarah Thompson, Liz Palmer, Julianne Divine and Price, took fourth place. Their collective time was 4:07.97. 

The Belles will return to conference action against Olivet in Olivet, Mich. at 6 p.m. Friday.