A call for solidarity

Monday marked the beginning of National Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week, a week that is meant to promote positive messages and healthy outlooks regarding one's self-image. As a member of the Notre Dame community, I, for one, am so proud that our school takes the initiative to promote such an event. More than 10 million women and 1 million men nationwide struggle with either anorexia or bulimia and millions more struggle with binge eating disorder. As a woman who has battled an eating disorder myself (and won!), I want to take this time to send a message of solidarity to all people on this campus.

You are beautiful just the way you are.

While eating disorders are serious illnesses, I believe that the first step to reducing their prevalence and promoting a culture of confidence starts with each one of us. Girls, I urge you to revel in the beauty you have. Own it. Guys, understand how awesome you are. The aura you exude when you walk with confidence is magnetic. I know that the tragedy that is poor self-esteem cannot be solved overnight, but we can stand together as a school, as a family, as Notre Dame and let all who struggle know they are not alone. I pray that all who suffer from negative self-images and eating disorders may seek the help they need and begin to live a fruitful life free of their illnesses.

Kelly Jones

senior

Pasquerilla West

Feb. 20