Association approves new council constitutions

Saint Mary's College Student Government Association (SGA) has moved one step closer toward finalizing its new structure by passing four new council constitutions, Emma Brink, executive secretary, said.

"As part of SGA's new structure, each individual council has created a constitution," Brink said.

This week SGA passed constitutions for the Student Academic Council (SAC), Council of Committee Chairs (CCC), Council of Activities (COA) and Council of Class Boards (CCB).

"We are really excited that the four constitutions passed," Brink said. "The groundwork for SGA's structure has been established and is almost complete."

Silvia Cuevas, mission commissioner, said passing the constitutions is significant for underclassmen, especially juniors.

"Passing the constitutions is significant for the SGA juniors because we have the opportunity to implement these changes as seniors," Cuevas said. "We look forward to working with the new structure and new council and committee members."

According to the SAC constitution, the purpose of the Council is "to foster the academics at Saint Mary's College through collaboration of academic departments."

Brink said SAC will fulfill its purpose by raising awareness of each major of study among Saint Mary's students. SAC will also be a liaison between faculty and students, she said.  

According to the CCC constitution, the purpose of the Council is "to identify concerns and issues of all Saint Mary's students through the implementation of various committees."

The CCC will also address important areas of student life and act in the interest of the student body, Brink said.  

The purpose of the COA is "to coordinate the programming for the campus community to meet the needs of the entire student body," according to the Council's constitution.

The COA will ensure that every board properly fulfills its role and duty to the College, Brink said.

The CCB's constitution's purpose is "to promote class activities and create any class conscious legislation or proposals."

Brink said the CCB will maintain communication between the four class boards and encourage those members and executives to fulfill its goals.

SGA concluded the weekly meeting by announcing that the "Proud Past, Promising Future" leadership series will occur Feb. 27 in Carroll Auditorium. The series will feature a motivational speaker, Chad Gaines, who will discuss how to develop and transform young leaders.