Corbran, Helpling to lead classes

Officers for next year's junior and senior class councils were named late Thursday night.

Tricia Corbran will serve as senior class president and Lizzie Helpling will serve as junior class president.

Due to a campaign violation in the Sophomore Class Council election, Judicial Council held the results until 10 a.m. today.

Corbran's ticket won 436 votes out of a total 693, or 70.7 percent of the votes, defeating one opposing ticket.

Her council will include seniors Claire George, Daniel Klodor and Chris Champlin.

Corbran said their plans for next year involve throwing large-scale events to strengthen class unity.

"For next year we're looking forward to involving everyone in the class … making sure everyone has a voice and making it really about the senior class," Corbran said. "Our main goal is to really reduce the gap between Class Council and the class as a whole and also have a great year that we can all talk about for years to come," she said.

For Junior Class Council, Helpling's ticket secured 71 percent of the votes, defeating one opposing ticket. The ticket received 436 votes out of a total 673.

Helpling's council will include Neal Ravindra, Jessica Puricelli and Greg Yungtum.

"We're so excited, we absolutely cannot wait to get to started," Helpling said

She said her council's biggest goal is to integrate the student body more with student government.

"We want students to know more what student government's doing and feel they have a say in student government," she said. "We [also] want to reach out to student groups on campus."

The Judicial Council found the Kevin Walsh, Martin Walsh, Jeanette Kim and Shannon Hogan ticket in the Sophomore Class Council election in violation of the Constitution because a member of the ticket posted a link to the polling site on the Notre Dame Class of 2015 Facebook group.

The Constitution states that only Judicial Council may post a link to the polling site.

As an appropriate sanction, the Election Committee decided the ticket's Facebook page must be removed by 11:59 p.m. Thursday night and no new web page may be created for the ticket. The Election Committee also required that a member of the ticket post an apology to the Class of 2015's Facebook page.