Dignity in contraception

I am writing in response to "Contraception and Dignity," published on Jan. 31. Although I understand and sympathize with the Catholic Church's stance on contraception, I found this article offensive. The argument put forth by Notre Dame Right to Life, that women who use contraception lack "dignity," is both narrow-minded and dangerous.

Notre Dame Right to Life should not have to resort to name-calling to make its stance clear on the subject of contraception, and should not expect to be able to publish such a Letter to the Editor without backlash. Notre Dame is an artificial safe haven for such rhetoric; this language would not be tolerated outside of Notre Dame's campus. People throughout the United States and across the globe use condoms and contraception to protect themselves and their loved ones in a variety of difficult circumstances that include, but are not limited to: protecting against consequences of domestic violence and rape, preventing the spread of HIV and other STDs and ensuring that they can feed the children that they already have. These people are not undignified. In fact, they are actively taking steps to improve their situation with bravery and dignity.

The Catholic Church and Notre Dame Right to Life may oppose the use of family planning techniques, but such a general condemnation of the characters of the men and women who choose to use contraception is inappropriately judgmental. Notre Dame students should not tolerate this kind of broad rhetoric in further discussions about contraception.

Emily Bieniek

junior

off-campus

Feb. 2

Joel Moore

junior

St. Edward's Hall

Feb. 2