Know the Church's stance

I am writing in response to several of the Letters to the Editor published on Friday, Feb. 3. In her letter ("A woman's dignity"), Ms. Reser describes the perspective taken in "Contraception and dignity" (Feb. 1) as "discouraging." What is discouraging, Ms. Reser, is that at the most renowned Catholic university in the nation, so many people fail to understand the Church's stance on contraception, or for that matter, to even care to find out. Mr. Galeziewski's question, "How is (NFP) any different than using a contraceptive?" ("A (brief) case for contraception," Feb. 3) gets at the crux of the problem. The fact that he, like so many, doesn't see the distinction is illustrative of the apathetic attitude that is far too common among students.

For those of you concerned about this issue, before subscribing to the views of popular culture that tell us that any view other than complete and unquestioned acceptance of the use of contraceptives is backward or ignorant, as so many would have it, I encourage you to actively seek information about the Church's position. You may find that contrary to what the constant stream of secular rhetoric would have you believe, this position actually shows extreme respect for women and their role in meaningful relationships. At this school, we have more resources than many Catholics would dare to imagine right at our fingertips, eager to inform us about the faith that we unabashedly profess at Our Lady's University. Talk to a Holy Cross priest, a theology professor, a campus minister, or even, dare I say, a member of the Right to Life club (too much?). Go to one of the many lectures put on by the Center for Ethics and Culture and the GRC (there is one tomorrow entitled "Catholicism and Sexuality"). Take a class. Attend the Edith Stein Conference and actually hear women who have used NFP talk about their experiences. Then decide whether you agree or not.

But to lash out and take the remarks from a previous article completely out of context without a fundamental understanding of the Church's position is a reflection of exactly the narrow-mindedness of which you are so quick to accuse others. And by the way, Ms. Reser, in the future, please don't profess to "speak for many of my fellow Catholic women." I'll speak for myself, thanks.

Emily Thompson

senior

Breen Phillips Hall

Feb. 7