Observer announces new editorial board

Seven new editors will join The Observer's Editorial Board in 2012-13 and two current editors will retain their positions, incoming Editor-in-Chief Allan Joseph announced Sunday.

Juniors Chris Allen, Jillian Barwick, John Cameron, Kristen Durbin, Sarah O'Connor and Suzanna Pratt, along with sophomore Kevin Noonan, will assume their positions on the Editorial Board after Spring Break.

Junior Brandon Keelean will return as Graphics Editor, while sophomore Meghan Thomassen will return as Viewpoint Editor.

Allen, an Alumni Hall resident and native of East Brunswick, N.J., will serve as Sports Editor. An accounting major, Allen covered the Notre Dame hockey team on its Frozen Four run in 2011 and coordinated The Observer's coverage of interhall football in 2010.

Barwick, a communication studies major at Saint Mary's College, hails from Wayne, N.J. and lives in LeMans Hall. Barwick will serve as Saint Mary's Editor after a year of covering Saint Mary's news for The Observer.

Cameron and Durbin will take over as news editors. Cameron is a finance and political science major currently studying abroad in London. A resident of Keough Hall and native of Rolling Meadows, Ill., Cameron has significant experience covering student government and reporting on campus-community relations.

Durbin originally hails from Prospect Heights, Ill., and lives in Walsh Hall. The American Studies and Arts and Letters preprofessional studies major has extensive experience with "ND Minute," The Observer's news video blog. She also covered organized-labor issues at Eddy Street Commons.

O'Connor, a McGlinn Hall resident and native of Omaha, Neb., will serve as Multimedia Editor. A junior computer science major, O'Connor is also a member of The Observer's Photography Department and has spent significant time upgrading the multimedia section of The Observer's website.

Pratt is an anthropology and peace studies major hailing from Seattle, Wash., and a resident of Pangborn Hall. Pratt has been The Observer's lead hockey photographer and covered the campus-wide celebration following the death of Osama bin Laden. Pratt is currently studying abroad in Australia and will take over the photo department when she returns in the fall.