-

-

Save the bike shop

Sarah McCroy | Sunday, February 5, 2012

To the folks who run the bike shop:

It has recently come to my attention the bike shop will be closing. This is heart-breaking news. As a student who solely depends on her bike for transportation, I cannot thank the bike shop staff enough for all their time and hard work. They have helped me with my tires, derailleur, gears and so much more.

After I was hit by an unalert cab driver last semester, I thought I would have to find another way to get to school (I live three miles off campus). Rather, your staff was more than willing to do everything they could to help fix my bike.

I have run into countless students who also have had issues with their bikes (some minor, some quite drastic) and have been thrilled to find out Notre Dame has a bike shop. The bike shop does not get enough attention for how sustainable they are either.

Shutting down the bike shop is not only disappointing, it will hurt the Notre Dame community in many ways. I hope there are options to keep it open for future students. If I can do anything to help, I would be more than glad to do what I can. My information follows.

In conclusion, thank you. Thank you for everything you and your staff have given me these past years. Thank you for keeping Notre Dame sustainable. I hope you will reconsider your decision to close the bike shop.

Sarah McCroy

senior

Saint Mary’s

Feb. 2