Statement reports two incidents of racial harassment

Two acts of racial harassment were committed against black student groups in "recent days," according to a statement sent to the student body in an email Friday.

According to the statement, fried chicken parts were placed in the mailboxes of the Black Students Association and African Students Association. The Office of Student Affairs is now working with the two student organizations to present the incidents to the Notre Dame Security police for an investigation.

Vice president for Student Affairs Fr. Thomas Doyle, vice president and associate provost Don Pope-Davis and chair of the Black Students Association Brittany Suggs signed the joint statement.

"These acts of harassment are a clear violation of University policy, unacceptable in every way, and will not be tolerated on our campus," the statement said.

In addition to the investigation, student leaders, staff and faculty are developing a "comprehensive response" to the specific incidents that occurred as well as unreported occasions of intolerance, the statement said. This response will take "various forms."

"We seek to use it as a means to educate our community and create awareness of the fact that, even at this point in our national history, hatred and bigotry continue to exist and must be combated," the statement said.

Anyone with information on these incidents is asked to contact NDSP at 574-631-5555.