Students travel to Super Bowl

The sports world's eyes will turn to Indianapolis this Sunday for the Super Bowl XLVI, which will feature a rematch between prominent East Coast teams the New England Patriots and the New York Giants.

Several students plan to make the short trip to Indianapolis and participate in Super Bowl festivities before the game begins Sunday evening.

Freshman Kayla Polcari said she and her sister, senior Annie Polcari, decided to spend the weekend in Indianapolis after they received tickets to the Super Bowl as a surprise gift.

"The best dad in the world surprised me with them," she said.

Seniors Christina Carson and Michael Oliver said they are also driving to Indianapolis with a group of friends to experience the events in Super Bowl Village, though they do not have tickets to the game.

"We're going downtown for the concerts in Super Bowl village, like Darius Rucker, LMFAO and O.A.R., and they're all free," Carson said.

The concerts begin Thursday evening and continue through Sunday. Carson and Oliver said they expect Saturday night's CMT Crossroads Pepsi Super Bowl Fan Jam concert to be the highlight of their weekend.

"We also somehow won tickets to the Crossroads concert at the Pepsi Coliseum with Steven Tyler and Carrie Underwood, so I'm really excited for that," Oliver said.

Though they plan to visit Super Bowl village, Carson and Oliver said they will come back to South Bend in time to watch the game with other students.

Oliver, a Patriots fan, will be set against students like Polcari who will cheer for the Giants.

"I'm so excited for the Giants win," she said.

Freshman Rachel Miceli, of Queens, New York, said her decision to cheer for the Giants was painful since her true loyalties lie with the New York Jets during the regular season.

"I usually hate the Giants, but not as much as I hate the Patriots," Miceli said. "I guess it comes down to the Giants being a New York team, so I'm supporting them."