Things to Do for JPW

Today, the festivities of Junior Parents Weekend (JPW) begin. JPW is a University tradition in which junior class parents come to Notre Dame "to get a glimpse of their sons and daughters' lives at their home away from home," said Caitlin Connelly, co-chair of the JPW Presidential Dinner.

"This year is particularly special because we also celebrate the event's 60th anniversary," Connelly said.

With a full schedule of activities planned from Friday to Sunday, Connelly said this JPW promises to be "a fun and entertaining weekend for the 2013 junior class and their parents alike."

Friday

JPW festivities begin today at 1 p.m. with Air Force ROTC

and Art Department receptions. Later in the afternoon, the Black Cultural Arts Council (BCAC) will host Black Coffee House in the LaFortune Student Center Ballroom. This signature event showcases various talented singers, dancers and poets.

The JPW Opening Gala begins at 9 p.m. in the Joyce Athletic & Convocation Center.

"[The Opening Gala is] one of the weekend's most important and awaited events," Connelly said.

This activity serves as a way "for students and their parents to socialize with other classmates and their parents," she said. Cocktail attire is suggested for the Opening Gala. The event will have different entertainment stations with food, professional

photographers, music and a dance floor.

Saturday

Saturday's schedule is busy, packed with events from morning to night.  

From 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., each University college will offer a continental breakfast and a variety of receptions and presentations for students and their families.

"It is a great way for parents to learn more about their kids' learning environment and faculty at Notre Dame," Connelly said.

After a busy morning, Residence Hall staffs will host semi-formal luncheons from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. in student's respective dorms. Later, the Notre Dame Jazz Band will perform a special number for JPW attendees at Leighton Concert Hall in the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center (DPAC.)

"The more formal and elegant activities begin at 5:30 p.m. with the JPW Mass at Purcell Pavilion, followed by the President's Dinner at the Joyce Center Fieldhouse,"Connelly said.Junior class president Kevin Doherty and University President Fr. John Jenkins will address the class of 2013 and their parents Saturday evening. The University Glee Club will also perform during the event.

Sunday

JPW festivities come to an end Sunday with the Closing Brunch in the Joyce Center Fieldhouse. With guest speakers and closing remarks from the coordinating staff, juniors will enjoy a relaxing meal with their parents as the weekend comes to a close.

"We've put a lot of effort into all of this year's JPW activities and the class has shown a lot of participation and enthusiasm," Connelly said.