-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Thursday

Project 214 and Rednight

Legends

10 p.m.

Free

Check out performances by two student bands at Legends tonight at 10 p.m. Project 214 returns to Legends after their Battle of the Bands performance at the venue last April. The event is free, so don’t miss out!

Friday

Collegiate Jazz Festival

Washington Hall

7 p.m.

$5

Now in its 54th year, the annual Notre Dame Collegiate Jazz Festival is a highlight to the year in music. The event features groups from nearby Michigan and Ohio, and groups from as far away as Alaska. The festival brings together the world of college jazz’s best groups for a weekend of musical revelry.

Saturday

“The Muppets”

DeBartolo 101

7 p.m.

$3

You loved them growing up, so don’t miss a chance to hang out with the Muppets all over again this weekend. Celebrate “The Muppets'” Best Original Song win at the Oscars and check out Jason Segel, Kermit, Miss Piggy and the rest of the gang in this joyous reboot of a childhood favorite.

Sunday

“Antigona Furiosa”

Philbin Theatre

2:30 p.m.

$7

This weekend is your last chance to see this highly praised, exciting new theatrical production. An adaptation of the classic story of “Antigone” with the “Dirty War” of Argentina, “Antigona Furiosa” is a powerful study of grief and the harrows of war.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thursday

Bowling Alley and Lebowskifest

Legends

10 p.m.

Free

Only once in a blue moon will you have the opportunity to go bowling on campus, so don’t miss your chance when Legends converts its club into a bowling alley tonight at 10 p.m. Stick around after bowling some strikes to enjoy the perfect complement to the game — “The Big Lebowski.” The cult classic about a man who gets caught up in a case of mistaken identity and a host of other zany antics is a must-see for those who’ve missed it. The Dude abides.

Friday

“Melancholia”

Browning Cinema

6:30 and 9:30 p.m.

$3

Lars Von Trier’s latest film, loosely about the end of the world, has popped up on top critical lists since its release last year and has won a string of awards, including Best Actress for Kirsten Dunst at the Cannes Film Festival. “Melancholia” will also play at the Browning Cinema at 6:30 and 9:30 p.m. on Thursday and 6 and 9 p.m. on Saturday.

Saturday

“The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1”

DeBartolo 101

7 and 9:30 p.m.

$3

In case you missed the latest incarnation of sparkling vampires and shirtless werewolves, SUB has you covered. It’s wedding time for the star-crossed Edward and Bella, and nothing will be the same when it’s over. Prepare yourself for the finale, out this fall, by watching the set-up that has the most shocking conclusion to date.

Sunday

L.A. Theatre Works presents “The Rivalry”

Decio Mainstage

2 p.m.

$15

“The Rivalry” uses original transcripts from the famed Lincoln-Douglas debate of 1858 to bring to life a heated presidential election. Among the many issues discussed was slavery, which would shape Lincoln’s time as president. This riveting production will also be presented on Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. These presentations will include pre-performance talks with Notre Dame scholars.

-

-

Weekend Events Calendar

Maija Gustin | Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thursday

Restaurants Week

Restaurants in Downtown South Bend

All Day

Discounted Meals at Selected Restaurants

The second annual “Eat. Drink. Downtown South Bend” is upon us. Through Feb. 4, various restaurants in Downtown South Bend will feature specials and discounts on their food and beverages. Each participating restaurant offers a special dinner menu for $25 along with various other discounts on individual items. No coupon or ticket is required, though reservations are requested. Participating restaurants include Carmela’s at Macri’s, the South Bend Chocolate Café, Trio’s, Fiddler’s Hearth and The Vine. There has never been a better time to step out of the bubble and check out what South Bend has to offer.

Friday

Tiffany Haddish and DJ3J

Legends

10 p.m.

Free

Comedian Tiffany Haddish has performed at comedy venues around the world and appeared in guest spots on shows such as “My Name is Earl” and “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” She will perform at Legends beginning at 10 p.m., followed by an old school hip-hop DJ set from DJ3J at midnight. Legends is always free for students and the event is open to all ages.

Saturday

“The Princess Bride”

Browning Cinema

$3

Midnight

The ‘80s fantasy classic, about the vivid characters of a children’s storybook, is the first of this semester’s Midnight Movie series at the Browning Cinema. Spawning such classic lines as “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”; “As you wish” and “Have fun stormin’ da castle,” “The Princes Bride” is the perfect way to cap off your Saturday night.

Sunday

A Fantastic Afternoon with Georges Melies

Browning Cinema

$3

3 p.m.

Pioneering filmmaker Georges Melies was the subject of Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-nominated “Hugo.” See why the famed director loves Melies’ work so much. An innovative director who explored the possibilities of the film medium by creating fantasy films, Melies’ films are wondrous to behold even a century later. A screening Saturday at 3 p.m. will feature a collection of the director’s short works, while the Sunday program will present his most famed film, “A Trip to the Moon,” and a documentary about its creation, “The Extraordinary Voyage.”