Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Women's Lacrosse: Midfielder keeps team composed

Seeing Jenny Granger shoot and score has become a commonplace for Notre Dame, as the junior midfielder notched three goals in her first two games this season. Hearing the Disney song "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" has become just as common, as Granger chose the Disney classic for her goal song.

"I don't know [why I chose it]," Granger said. "I like Disney movies, and I tried to make it upbeat, too. I like the sound of it, and I like the ‘Lion King,' but my favorite Disney movie is probably ‘Cars.'"

The light-hearted tune is only one of the ways Granger helps keep a relatively young team relaxed and composed.

With the installation of Irish coach Christine Halfpenny in the offseason, the Irish are a team in transition, and Granger is one of the upperclassmen that has already played a key role, keeping the Irish composed during two tough wins over Duquesne and then-No. 6 Stanford.

Although Halfpenny has only been with the team for a few months, she already recognizes Granger's importance both on the field, and in the locker room.

"She brings a calmness and a poise to our team," Halfpenny said. "And she's so smart. This girl has probably the best game sense and field sense on our offense. I feel like she understands the pace and tempo of the game. She really reads what our team needs at any given time."

Granger may play an important role in keeping the team rolling along, but Halfpenny said the midfielder's explosive play is still her biggest contribution.

"Jenny's just lethal; I mean when you watch her she's just one of those players that's fun to watch," Halfpenny said. "She's a beautiful stick — she works very hard on that — and she's hungry. She's a threat whenever she touches the ball, and I feel like she's that silent killer for us. You're not so aware of her, then all of the sudden she buries the ball or sends a feed."

Off the field, Granger is currently studying both Marketing and Film, Television and Theatre, an unusual double-major that reflects her unique interests.

"I started out in the business school, and I really liked marketing and how it's the psychology of other people," she said. "And then I just started taking television classes, and I loved the whole process of shooting and editing things. They both seem to combine in advertising. I'm thinking of either doing something in advertising or on TV with commercials, hopefully."

Granger still has over a year until she tries to break into commercial advertising though, and until then she will continue to help lead her team toward its ultimate goals of Big East and national championships.

Granger said that there's no rush to leave her sisters on the team though, as she still has plenty left to do under the Golden Dome.

"[This team] is a family," she said. "They're my best friends, and it's just an awesome place to be."

Granger and the rest of the Irish will take on Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio, this weekend.

Contact Jack Hefferon at wheffero@nd.edu