-

-

Women’s Lacrosse: Tamasitis adds passing to offensive repertoire

Joseph Monardo | Monday, February 13, 2012

After three stellar years in an Irish uniform, senior attack Maggie Tamasitis is looking to improve on her breakout junior season and lead Notre Dame to conference and national prominence.

The Boyertown, Penn., native collected 80 points in her first two collegiate seasons before racking up a team high 67 points last year. Tamasitis netted a career-high 21 goals as a junior, but her largest improvement came in the passing game. Last year, Tamasitis racked up 46 assists — doubling her number from the previous two seasons and tying for second in the nation in the category.

“I definitely think an assist is more exciting [than a goal] because more people are a part of it,” Tamasitis said. “I like celebrating with someone. Don’t get me wrong, goals are great, but there is something about making a play and working with someone to do that that is really special.”

Tamasitis’ ability to pass the ball and orchestrate the Irish offense earned her spots on the third team All-American, first team all-region, first team all-Big East and Big East all-tournament team.

“I’ve learned a lot about what I like to do on the field specifically,” Tamasitis said. “I’m more of a passer than I was in high school and I definitely have learned more of my strengths and gaining confidence from that and working on my weaknesses.”

Now a senior co-captain, along with classmates Jordy Shoemaker and Megan Sullivan, Tamasitis looks to lead the No. 17/20 Irish in their first season under Irish coach Christine Halfpenny.

“I think what I’ve learned definitely as a player is how to overcome adversity,” Tamasitis said. “Now with a new coach and everything, my confidence has gotten a lot better.

“I think we’ve all had to make the transition, and everyone is basically on an equal playing field I think. As a whole team it’s made us all come together, and we love our new coaching staff so I think it’s been a really easy transition.”

Although Tamasitis said she embraces her role as a leader on the team, she does not consider herself to be a teacher figure to younger players.

“I don’t really see myself in that role, I more see myself as playing with them,” she said. “I have a great relationship with all the attackers on my team … even the freshman and sophomores coming in, I just have a great relationship with all of them. So I see myself more as playing with them than teaching them.”

The Irish enter the 2012 season having gone 10-9 in their last campaign, which ended with a 12-10 loss in the Big East Championship game to Loyola. This season, Tamasitis said, the Irish hope to avenge last year’s defeat.

“Like always, a Big East Championship and a National Championship, or a Final Four, would be awesome,” she said. “We won’t really settle for anything else than that.”

This season also offers Tamasitis the opportunity to establish herself among the most accomplished Irish players of all time. The senior attack needs only 15 assists to overtake the top spot in Notre Dame history, and is only 54 points shy of becoming the fifth Irish player to reach 200 career points.

“I don’t really like to think about [the records] when I play,” Tamasitis said. “I guess they are always kind of on your radar, you like to set goals for yourself, but if we make it to the Final Four nothing else will matter to me.”

When the Irish open their regular season on Sunday, Tamasitis will have one eye peeking toward postseason tournaments in May and the other eye scanning the field, looking to make the next pass to help the Irish get there.

Contact Joseph Monardo at jmonardo@nd.edu