-

-

Baking With Brenna

Brenna Williams | Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Nutella is best described as “the food of the gods.” It is, as an Internet meme I recently saw aptly described, the thing that tastes better than skinny feels. I personally believe it has the power to bring anyone together – Nutella could be the key to world peace. The only thing that can make Nutella better is the addition of marshmallow fluff. Wrap those two ingredients up in puff pastry, bake to golden brown perfection and you have this week’s recipe: the Nutella Puff.

With only five ingredients, which are easily found in the grocery store, this recipe is an easy and tasty way to show someone you care. Plus, puff pastry makes everything look fancier, so you can look like a pro baker with little effort!

Ingredients:

Nutella

Marshmallow fluff

Frozen puff pastry, thawed

One egg, beaten

Tip: Egg whites are fine.

Sugar

Tip: You can use Splenda or a sugar substitute.

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unfold and cut the puff pastry into squares. It’s up to you how large

you want the pastries, but make sure there is plenty of room around the edges once the fillings have

been put in.

2. Put a small spoonful of Nutella and marshmallow fluff in the middle of each puff pastry square.

Tip: Fluff is one of the stickiest substances known to mankind. In order to avoid fighting with it, spray your spoon with cooking oil to keep it slick.

3. Fold the square diagonally and seal the edges of the pastry by pressing them together with a fork.

Tip: Make sure they are sealed well. The pastry, as indicated by the name, will puff up while baking and the edges will come apart unless well sealed.

4. Brush the pastry with the egg and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is lightly browned. Let them cool for five to 10 minutes before eating.

In less than 30 minutes, with five ingredients you’ve got a delectable Nutella treat sure to make anyone your new best friend.

Do you have a recipe you’d like to share with your fellow Domers? I’m always taking suggestions for new, fun and easy treats! 

-

-

Baking with Brenna

Brenna Williams | Monday, March 19, 2012

The Oreo celebrated its 100th birthday before spring break, and it’s about time it gets a little facelift. Since I started writing this column, I have been asking my friends about easy recipes they love. Several suggested I try Oreo-stuffed cookies, which sounded intriguing and delicious. I decided to try them using Double-Stuffed Oreos, adding another layer of stuffing. This week, try making the “Triple-Stuffed Cookie”: Double Stuffed Oreos inside a homemade chocolate chip cookie.

As usual, I understand it is hard to make things from scratch in the dorms, so you can use Break-n-Bake chocolate chip cookies from the Huddle and start at Step 4 below. If you use the Break-n-Bake cookies, you can also find the Oreos in the Huddle, making this a super simple on-campus treat. As usual, I’ve given my tips and substitutions to make it even easier.

Ingredients:
– 2 sticks softened butter
– 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
Tip: Use the Splenda blend of brown sugar.
– 1 cup granulated sugar
Tip: Use Splenda or another sugar substitute.
– 2 large eggs
Tip: Use egg whites.
– 1 tbsp vanilla extract
– 3 1/2 cups flour
– 1 tsp salt
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 10 oz bag chocolate chips
Tip: Use your favorite kind of chocolate.
– 12 Oreo cookies, cut in half
Tip: This recipe can be made with your favorite kind of Oreo: mint, regular, birthday, whatever! Also, take care when cutting since the cookie can easily crumble.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
Tip: This can be done by hand or with a mixer.
3. In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until combined.
4. Take a piece of the dough, flatten it into a circle in your hand, and place one of the Oreo halves in the middle.
5. Do the same thing, covering the top of the Oreo. Seal the edges of the cookie dough together.
6. Place on a baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Put the dough in the refrigerator between batches. If it’s cooler, it’ll spread less during baking.
Serving suggestion: Cut the baked cookies in half because, even using half of an Oreo, the cookies are huge. Your friends will thank you for sparing them the sugar coma and your batch will go twice as far.

This recipe will make 24 monster cookies or 48 reasonably-sized snacks. Happy birthday, Oreo! It’s better to celebrate late than never.