Baking With Brenna
Brenna Williams | Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Nutella is best described as “the food of the gods.” It is, as an Internet meme I recently saw aptly described, the thing that tastes better than skinny feels. I personally believe it has the power to bring anyone together – Nutella could be the key to world peace. The only thing that can make Nutella better is the addition of marshmallow fluff. Wrap those two ingredients up in puff pastry, bake to golden brown perfection and you have this week’s recipe: the Nutella Puff.
With only five ingredients, which are easily found in the grocery store, this recipe is an easy and tasty way to show someone you care. Plus, puff pastry makes everything look fancier, so you can look like a pro baker with little effort!
Frozen puff pastry, thawed
One egg, beaten
Tip: Egg whites are fine.
Tip: You can use Splenda or a sugar substitute.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unfold and cut the puff pastry into squares. It’s up to you how large
you want the pastries, but make sure there is plenty of room around the edges once the fillings have
been put in.
2. Put a small spoonful of Nutella and marshmallow fluff in the middle of each puff pastry square.
Tip: Fluff is one of the stickiest substances known to mankind. In order to avoid fighting with it, spray your spoon with cooking oil to keep it slick.
3. Fold the square diagonally and seal the edges of the pastry by pressing them together with a fork.
Tip: Make sure they are sealed well. The pastry, as indicated by the name, will puff up while baking and the edges will come apart unless well sealed.
4. Brush the pastry with the egg and sprinkle a little bit of sugar on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry is lightly browned. Let them cool for five to 10 minutes before eating.
In less than 30 minutes, with five ingredients you’ve got a delectable Nutella treat sure to make anyone your new best friend.
Do you have a recipe you’d like to share with your fellow Domers? I’m always taking suggestions for new, fun and easy treats!