Monologues to dialogue

| Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I acted in “Show Some Skin: The Race Monologues,” and I had the privilege to embody an anonymous submission from the Notre Dame community in front of over 750 students, faculty, family and friends. On behalf of everyone involved with “Show Some Skin,” I offer my sincerest gratitude to you who came out on Friday and Saturday – many of you sitting on the Carey Auditorium steps and filling the aisles – to support us and learn about our cause. We also thank the faculty who wrote the “Reactions to ‘Race'” letter to the editor in Tuesday’s edition of The Observer.

That being said, I am surprised and disappointed that the only mention in The Observer about “Show Some Skin” – a student-run production that gave credibility to the fledgling racial dialogue happening on campus – came from a faculty letter to the editor. In light of the ASA and BSA and Travyon Martin incidents, “Show Some Skin” couldn’t have been timelier. However, if we are to improve racial relations on campus, our primary media outlet, The Observer, cannot simply publish an article about a student government-run town hall meeting and then stop paying attention.

Having gotten both positive reviews and constructive criticism for “Show Some Skin” from post-performance surveys, Facebook wall comments and word-of-mouth, I hoped that The Observer would have written a review, summary, interview or editorial and open the discussion to those who were not able to attend the performance. Not everybody agrees that we need to have racial dialogue on campus, but ignoring this performance only precludes progress and frustrates those invested, including the directors who worked on it for over a year and counting.

After dealing with a very real and raw monologue, written by someone from my own beloved dorm whose identity I do not know, I hope that others at this University are more open to hearing and accepting others’ stories, starting with the very media in which we are to find our voice. I am sure the courageous people who shared a piece of their souls in the form of a monologue would agree with me.

Kristina Flathers

Lewis Hall

Mar. 28