ND Women's Golf: Armstrong shines, Irish struggle in rain-shortened event

Notre Dame finished 13th in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate over the weekend in Hilton Head, S.C., when the event ended earlier than expected due to rain.

The team arrived Friday and played the Long Cove Golf Club consistently the first two days. Heavy rains Saturday afternoon, however, forced the players to end their second rounds early after only 12 holes of play.

The Irish struggled Sunday morning as they finished up their second rounds.  Collectively, the Irish played the remaining six holes 24-over-par Sunday morning. This knocked them from sixth place down to 13th.  

The tournament was called off following the conclusion of the second round Sunday. The third and final round of competition was not played due to 4 inches of water that accumulated on the course between noon Saturday and 6 a.m. Sunday.

Freshman Ashley Armstrong performed strongly, individually finishing in a tie for 14th place in the tournament.

Irish coach Susan Holt said she was pleased with Armstrong's effort, but also said Armstrong could have accomplished more.

"She had it to three-under at one point on Saturday, but finished Saturday with three straight bogeys," Holt said. "She played well, but could have played really great."

The Darius Rucker Intercollegiate was the team's fifth tournament of the year, and first this spring. Holt said that though the result was not what the Irish were hoping for, she is optimistic.

"This is the third time we've put ourselves in a position to pick-up a quality win and not taken advantage," Holt said. "It's disappointing, but more opportunities lay ahead."

The Irish will head down to LSU for a tournament this weekend.

"I'm looking forward to us playing like I know we can," Holt said. "I know we have a talented group.

"I have huge expectations for our team going forward. I would be less disappointed if I thought our team wasn't that good, but that's not the case.  I know we're better than we have been playing."

The Irish travel to Baton Rouge, La., for the LSU Tiger Classic this Friday through Sunday.

Contact Drew Pangraze at apangraz@nd.edu