ND Women's Golf: Irish aim for a comeback with two tournaments

After taking a disappointing 13th place at the Darius Rucker Invitational in Hilton Head, S.C., Notre Dame looks to bounce back with two tournaments over break.

The tournament in South Carolina was cut a round short on Sunday due to heavy rainfall and thunderstorms at the Long Cove Golf Club. The Irish shot 24-over par and dropped from sixth to 13th place in a 15-team field following their second round. They finished with a team score of 620 after two rounds.

Coming off a 14th place showing in the last tournament, freshman Ashley Armstrong will be leading the Irish over break. In 36 holes of golf, Armstrong shot a six-over par 148 and finished 11 strokes behind the tournament winner Stephanie Meadow of Alabama.

For their second tournament of the spring season, the Irish will compete in the LSU Tiger Classic this weekend in Baton Rouge, La., at the University Club of Baton Rouge. Following that tournament, the Irish will travel to Mesa, Ariz. for the Clover Cup on March 16 at Longbow Golf Club.

Senior Katie Allare will be making a homecoming of sorts when the team drops down in Mesa. The Longbow Golf Club in Mesa is a mere 30 minutes from Xavier Prep in Phoenix, where Allare attended high school.

However, the Irish are hoping the stormy weather predicted for Louisiana this weekend does not affect them as it did in South Carolina. In Baton Rouge, the skies do not look promising. For all three days, it is projected to rain with chances of precipitation hovering around 50 percent.

The Irish look to have a valuable spring break and come back to campus improved as they compete in the LSU Tiger Classic and the Clover Cup.

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu