Rowing: Irish travel for busy weekend of competition

Notre Dame will aim to continue its fast start to the season with a packed weekend when it participates in two different competitions in two locations over the weekend.

In their first competition of the season, the Irish won 10 races in the Oak Ridge Invitational last weekend. Notre Dame faced stiff competition from top-ranked opposition including top-ranked Virginia and Tennessee as well as the uncertainty of the new season.

Ultimately, the team secured a strong performance in their opening weekend, including wins in all three of its races. The success gives the Irish momentum going into this weekend's tough schedule.

"I think last week we didn't know how fast the other teams were and how fast we were," junior Abby Meyers said. "But we were successful and I think it helps us going into this weekend with confidence."

The team starts off the weekend with a head-to-head matchup with Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday. The races pit Notre Dame against the top-ranked team in the Central Region and one of the top teams in the entire nation. Tough competition should provide the team with a clearer picture of their abilities.

"I know that they are stacked as a team but I think if we do everything that we can right we can definitely beat them," Meyers said.

After the Ohio State matchup, the Irish will travel to Indianapolis for a four-team regatta the next day. The Irish will race against Indiana, Louisville and Purdue. The short amount of time between the races will put the Irish to the test but last weekend's experience will help ease the transition.

"The quick turnaround is something that we're not really worrying about," Meyers said. "Last weekend, we raced in the morning and afternoon on both days. As long as we can recover well like we did before, we shouldn't have any problems."

To continue on the success of last weekend, earlier starts will be the key for the Irish to getting a consistent pace during the races.

"From my experience in the first varsity eight boat, we need to get off to better starts and continue that effort throughout the race," Meyers said. "We just need to be more effective throughout the race."

The Irish will travel to Columbus for their one-on-one matchup with Ohio State on Saturday and follow up with a four-team regatta in Indianapolis on Saturday.

Contact Ernst Cleofe at ecleofe@nd.edu