-

-

Saint Mary’s welcomes prospective students

Jillian Barwick | Monday, March 26, 2012

Sunday’s welcoming South Bend weather warmly greeted a new crop of prospective students visiting campus for the “Meet Me at the Avenue” event at Saint Mary’s.

The annual, invitation-only event showcased Saint Mary’s and its campus to women who have been accepted to the College, but may or may not have made the official decision to attend, junior Meghan Feasel said.

Feasel, a student worker in the Alumnae Relations Office and an admissions office volunteer, served as a tour guide for the event, which hosted approximately 600 admitted students and family members.

“As a student who volunteers to lead tours, I take it upon myself to make the incoming students love Saint Mary’s as much as I do,” Feasel said. “This event is a great way to provide ample information to the students and their parents.”

Feasel said prospective students were encouraged to ask tour guides any questions they had about the College.

“This year, there was a ‘green card’ system, so guests were able to write down their questions and hand it to their tour guides to answer,” she said. “This eliminates the ‘I don’t feel comfortable’ issue of asking questions in front of parents.”

In addition to campus tours, prospective students learned more about each other and the College through icebreaker activities, a panel discussion on student life at Saint Mary’s and a club and activity fair in the first floor of the Student Center, Feasel said.

“In the morning, the groups participate in icebreakers as a way to introduce themselves,” Feasel said. “Team building exercises are also used to help the girls get to know the rest of the group, since they may be attending Saint Mary’s together next year.”

Feasel said the variety of activities leads some students to spend much of the day exploring campus with their families.

“There are so many things you can do during ‘Meet Me at the Avenue,'” she said. “Girls can set up a First Source Bank account, or they talk to professors in their intended majors. They can even see the dorms.”