SMC recognizes communication dept.

The Saint Mary's Communication Studies, Dance and Theater Department kicked off a weeklong celebration to recognize students' and professors' contributions to the department and community yesterday. 

Senior Alexandra Davin, president of the Saint Mary's chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, the National Communication Studies Honor Society, planned the majority of this year's "Comm Week" events.

"Every department has a designated week at Saint Mary's to promote their department," Davin said. "Myself, as well as many Communication students and professors, helped organize the events being held for Comm Week this year." 

Students decorated the Communication Department hallway with streamers, posters and balloons Sunday night to thank the professors for their work and to promote the Week. 

"Yesterday morning, we hosted a department breakfast where the students and professors were able to grab a free bagel, doughnut and some orange juice to kick off the week," Davin said. "It was a great way to get the students and professors together to begin the celebrations."

In a Monday evening panel titled "What Can You Do with a Communication Major?," two alumnae discussed their career paths after graduating from Saint Mary's with degrees in Communication Studies.

"Current Saint Mary's seniors explained past internships as Communication Studies majors and talked about their future plans for after graduation this May," Davin said. "We planned this panel in the hopes that it would demonstrate a wide range of career paths available to students who pursue a Communication degree."

Michael Kramer, associate professor of Communication Studies, will give a lecture titled "Political Communication in GOP Primary," today at 6 p.m. in Spes Unica Hall. 

"Kramer plans to use interactive media examples to further his lecture," Davin said. "We have also alerted the Political Studies Department of this event, as it applies to their coursework as well." 

Colleen Fitzpatrick, assistant professor of communication studies, will host a resume and portfolio workshop Wednesday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in Madeleva Hall.  

"This is a great opportunity for students to organize and enhance their portfolios for use in a professional setting," Davin said. "Many students are searching for summer internships or full-time jobs, and Professor Fitzpatrick hopes to better prepare students for interviews." 

Terri Russ, assistant professor of communication studies, will open her Female Beauty class to any students that are interested in learning about body and genders issues. The class is held Thursday from 11 to 12:15 p.m. in Moreau Hall.  

"We are really trying to promote Communication Week this year in hopes to raise more interest in the growing department," Davin said. "We hope people enjoy the events this year."