SMC Softball: Belles open season with win streak

The Belles emerged from their season-opening spring trip to Fort Myers, Fla., as a strong contender for the MIAA season championship. The squad finished 9-1 in 10 games crammed into five days, matching their 9-1 starts in 2007 and 2009.

While outscoring their opponents 57-26, the Belles won in a variety of situations, from close games to blowouts.

The first victory of the trip March 11 against Stevens Institute was not decided until extra innings, as the teams remained deadlocked at two until the top of the ninth. Belles' junior catcher Morgan Bedan hit a sacrifice fly, scoring junior infielder Emily Sherwood for the go-ahead run. The Belles added two more runs in the inning before sophomore pitcher Carlie Selner closed out a 5-2 victory in the bottom of the ninth. She pitched a complete game, allowing only one earned run and striking out seven.

The Belles followed that victory with three additional wins before falling 3-2 to Polytechnic Institute of NYU on March 13. However, they rebounded by winning the final five games of the trip, including a 13-1 victory in five innings against Lasell. Senior centerfielder Lauren Enayati led the way, going 3-for-4 with a double and two runs scored.

The Belles also won two one-run games against New Jersey City College on Wednesday and Thursday, 4-3 and 5-4, respectively.

On Thursday, the Belles spotted New Jersey City four runs in the top of the first inning. However, senior pitcher Angela Gillis prevented any additional damage with six shutout innings of relief, striking out five for her first win of the season.

Meanwhile, Saint Mary's offense provided just enough run support to mount a comeback.

The Belles make a short road trip to Wheaton College in Illinois today with first pitch at 3:00 p.m.