SMC Tennis: Belles get shut out by Indiana Wesleyan

After falling to Indiana Wesleyan 9-0 on Tuesday, Saint Mary's will need to prove its ability to bounce back for the second time this season. Earlier this season, the Belles (6-3) suffered a 9-0 loss in their season opener to Case Western. But following that shutout loss, the Belles were able to put together a five-game win steak, showcasing their ability to move past tough defeats, something Saint Mary's will look to do again following its second shutout of the season.

The Wildcats (15-0) were undefeated entering the match, but despite their opponents' impressive record, the Belles were somewhat optimistic entering the contest.

"I thought it would be a closer match, but it's hard to know the level of competition when you don't have a lot of common opponents," Belles coach Dale Campbell said.

After matching up with the Wildcats directly and getting a closer look at their team, Campbell said he was impressed.

"They were better than I thought today," Campbell said. "They were a very good team."

The Wildcats demonstrated their talent at the top of the lineup and defeated the Belles' talented No. 1 and No. 2 singles players, sophomore Mary Catherine Faller and freshman Kayle Sexton. According to Campbell, however, what makes Indiana Wesleyan stand out as a team is its depth.

"They had a lot of depth throughout their lineup," Campbell said. "They were good at all positions."

Still, the Belles said they took away some positives from the tough loss. According to Campbell his squad played better than the results convey.

"I thought we performed fairly well," Campbell said. "Everyone gave it their best. We learned from it and it was a good test for us. It was good for us to see this."

Campbell said his athletes were able to maintain a similar sense of perspective and optimism following the loss.

"I'm sure they're a little bit upset, because you're always upset with a loss," Campbell said. "Yet, overall I think they feel it's good to see such good competition."

St. Mary's will look to use this optimism to kick off another streak on Saturday, when the Belles will take on both Wheaton and Judson at Hanover Park in Elgin, Ill. The Belles take on Wheaton at 1 p.m. and Judson at 5 p.m.

Contact Aaron Sant-Miller at asantmil@nd.edu