-

-

SMC Tennis: Belles rebound against Judson

Aaron Sant-Miller | Monday, March 26, 2012

Even though Saint Mary’s was not able to overcome regionally-ranked Wheaton, the Belles were able to shine in their second match of the weekend, beating Judson 7-2.

Wheaton (15-1), ranked No. 8 in the Central Region, took all but one of the singles matches in beating Saint Mary’s 8-1. In five singles matches, the Thunder were able to claim straight-set victories.

“They were stronger than us in the singles for the most part,” Belles coach Dale Campbell said. “I know they are a [regionally] ranked team, but they just had overall more depth than us.”

In the sixth singles spot, sophomore Margaret Boden managed a solid come-from-behind victory over junior Julia Carey.

“Margaret Boden played very well,” Campbell said. “She won us a hard-earned match.”

The Belles (7-4) struggled to compete in the doubles matches, typically one of the team’s strengths.

“I thought we played a little bit closer in the doubles,” said Campbell. “I definitely thought we could compete with them in the doubles and had some chances.”

In the end, Wheaton managed to sweep all three, something that disappointed Campbell.

Conversely, the Belles set the tone early against Judson (5-11) sweeping all three of doubles matches.

“We played better,” Campbell said. “All in all, we played well.”

Following this impressive start, the Belles were able to shine against the Eagles in singles play, capturing four of the six matches. It began with sophomore Mary Catherine Faller, playing in the one spot, who defeated Judson junior Alexa Schofield. Following Faller’s victory, both freshman Shannon Elliot and Jackie Kjolhede took victories in their respective matches at the third and fourth positions. Sophomore Margaret Boden, who claimed a victory in the sixth spot, wrapped up the singles victories.

“They definitely had some good players, but we still pretty much controlled that match,” Campbell said.

Regardless, Campbell said the team is improving. As Campbell sees it, this is something that will prove to be vital for such a young team. The Belles are entirely made up of freshmen and sophomores.

“We’re such a young team, but we’re gaining a lot of experience and getting better,” Campbell said. “We still have to make a couple changes to make to do well in our conference, but we’re getting better.”

Tuesday the Belles will return to play when they travel to Albion to face their conference-rival Britons at 4 p.m.

Contact Aaron Sant-Miller at asantmil@nd.edu