-

-

SMC Tennis: Belles seek comeback after losing to Case Western

Isaac Lorton | Thursday, March 1, 2012

Saint Mary’s looks to bounce back after its loss to ranked Case Western when it faces off against Olivet on Sunday.

Belles coach Dale Campbell said the squad’s 9-0 loss to the Spartans should not affect the team in its matchup this weekend.

“Sure, the girls were disappointed after that match, but I think we will come back strong,” he said. “We have a young resilient team, who I think will do well against Olivet. The first match was a way for them to become acquainted with this level of competition. The Spartans showed us what we can work on. I’m not worried.”

Campbell said the Belles have been working hard to improve a few key aspects and prepare themselves for the start of conference play during the two-week break between matches.

“We are trying to be more purposeful with our shots,” Campbell said. “In singles, we need to be more aggressive and also [be] more strategic. In doubles, we are working on our offensive play. Our defense is pretty good so far.”

Campbell thinks the inexperienced Belles match up well against Olivet (0-0).

“We have beat them in the past, but we can’t overlook that,” Campbell said. “They have experience on their side. I think we will match up well and the matches should be very competitive.”

Campbell claims the top two single matches will be extremely competitive. No. 1 seed sophomore Mary Catherine Fuller and No. 2 freshman seed Kayle Sexton will be featured in the matchups for Saint Mary’s.

“Olivet’s 2011 No. 1 and No. 3 seed will be returning this year in singles,” Campbell said. “I think Mary Catherine and Kayle Sexton will do very well.”

Campbell said the Belles are excited to begin competition this weekend.

“The returning players have the experience in conference games and you can tell that they are excited,” Campbell said. “This excitement is rubbing off on the first-time players. There is anxiety in the freshman but I think once the matches start this will all go away.”

Saint Mary’s will face Olivet in East Lansing, Mich. on Sunday.