SMC Tennis: Young Belles look forward after loss

After a tough 9-0 to Indiana Wesleyan, Saint Mary's looks to strike back in a doubleheader against Wheaton College and Judson. Belles coach Dale Campbell said the Belles (6-3, 1-0 MIAA) have put the loss behind them and the team will be prepared for the match Saturday.

"I think we will bounce back fine," Campbell said. "We understood that [Indiana Wesleyan] was a national power. They have been to the MIAA nationals for ten years straight. We are young and developing and we are keeping that in perspective."

The first match will be a challenge for the Belles, as Wheaton (6-0) is undefeated this spring. Like Saint Mary's, Judson (0-6) is a young team and a fairly new program. The Eagles will be the competition for the second match of the day.

"Both are non-conference games but we want to still keep up the intensity," Campbell said. "Wheaton is a good program and Judson from what I understand is an up-and-coming program."

The spring break training trip has proved to be invaluable in preparing the Belles for doubleheaders, as they competed in two doubleheaders over the course of the week.

"I don't think the doubleheader will affect us at all," Campbell said. "We have had previous experience with them and done well in both instances. We are going to treat the doubleheader as two individual matches."

As of this week, Campbell has met with his three sophomore captains Mary Catherine Faller, Sarah Monte and Margaret Boden to discuss goals for the team.

"I want to clarify that this meeting was not one for any team drama, but to finally come together and set reasonable goals for our team," Campbell said. "We wanted to let the team gain some experience in play and see what they can do before we ironed out season goals. As of right now, we set performance goals for individuals and we are going to strive to achieve a winning record for the team this year."

As of right now, Campbell wants to focus at the present task of the non-conference Wheaton and Judson matches.

"Our conference games are the most important, but any match we play in will prepare us for them," Campbell said.

The Belles take on the doubleheader at 2 p.m. on Saturday at the Centre Court Athletic Club in Hanover Park, Ill.

Contact Isaac Lorton at ilorton@nd.edu