Support from afar

I am writing in response to an article published on the front page of your Mar. 5 edition of The Observer titled "GSA Asks University for Official Recognition." I am in no way affiliated with Notre Dame, The Observer or the state of Indiana for that matter. I am a student at The American University in Washington, D.C. As a gay Catholic college student I am fortunate enough come from a university whose Methodist affiliation appears meager when compared to the prevalence of its religiously diverse student body, representing everything from Catholicism and Judaism to Mormonism and Islam. Additionally, The American University was given five stars in the Campus Climate Index, ranking it among the top LGBT friendly universities in the country.

Queers and Allies (our student organization) often works alongside the student government and university administration to ensure that our university is kept up to par with the latest developments in the ever changing LGBT spectrum. However, from my experience with Q&A, I know why Notre Dame takes issue with the development of a similar club on its campus.

As a gay Catholic I have found that it is quite difficult to build a bridge between religion and sexuality, especially when the religion is Catholicism. As a private university with a Catholic background, it seems as though AllianceND's fight for recognition could last forever. That being said, I'd like to offer a possible solution. If it is not feasible to reach an agreement between one's desires for an LGBT Alliance (LGBTA) peer-to-peer interaction and the University's necessity to remain Holy, why not merge the two concepts?

Catholics for Equality is a DC based non-profit for Catholics who support full civil equality for LGBT Americans. Perhaps AllianceND could create a group based on this organization's platform to bring together LGBTA Catholics who believe in both the fundamental teachings of Christ and the need for a more progressive Catholic Church which equally recognizes LGBT Catholics as God's children.

My support goes out to Notre Dame's LGBTA identifying students. May God be with you as you push forth for equality.

God bless,

Joe Corcoran

Washington, D.C.

Mar. 6