Ex-worker sentenced to probation

A former University employee in Notre Dame's Office of the Registrar who pled guilty to four counts of voyeurism will serve no time in prison, a judge ordered last week.

Don G. Steinke, 59, appeared in St. Joseph County Superior Court with his attorney, Mike Tuszynski, on April 26. Judge Jerome Frese sentenced Steinke to four years on probation and ordered him to complete 20 hours of volunteer work until he finds employment, according to court documents.

Steinke was arrested March 7, 2011 after a woman found a pen camera aimed at the toilet on the floor of a women's bathroom in Grace Hall. The pen camera was turned over to Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP), according to court documents. Steinke allegedly admitted to placing the camera in the women's restroom with the intent to retrieve the camera and download the recorded video content.

Frese also reduced Steinke's charges of four Class D felony counts of voyeurism to Class A misdemeanors. He sentenced Steinke to one year in prison for each voyeurism count, but he suspended the sentences, meaning Steinke does not have to go to prison.

As a condition of his probation, Steinke was also ordered to arrange for mental health evaluation and counseling, if deemed appropriate by a mental health agency, according to court documents.