-

-

Movies to watch for this summer

Kevin Noonan | Monday, April 23, 2012

It’s just a week and a half until summer starts (a little more if you care about finals), and the summer movie season is going to be monstrous. There are big-time blockbusters coming out every single week, and it’s time to get excited. 

May 4- “The Avengers”

Marvel’s long-term scheme of getting the world excited about superheroes again is finally about to pay off, as virtually all their blockbuster superhero films of the past few years converge into one mega-film of epic proportions. The film stars Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow and Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. It cost a reported $220 million to make, but the early reviews are saying it was worth every penny.

May 11- “Dark Shadows”

Oddball-genius director Tim Burton teams up once again with oddball-genius actor Johnny Depp in this cinematic remake of the 1960s television show. Depp plays an 18th-century vampire who awakes from a spell in the 20th century. It’s an odd concept, made by an odd director and with an odd star, and has made for an odd trailer. But if Burton and Depp’s history is any indicator, this film will be full of dark humor and fun.

May 25- “Men in Black 3″

Will Smith introduced this movie saying, “We’re here for one purpose, and for one purpose only: Just to let you know that I’m about to make 3-D look good.” This sequel has been in development for 10 years, but is finally hitting theaters this summer. Agent J (Smith) must travel back in time to save Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin as the younger incarnation). In case of any doubts of the comedic material being stale, both Bill Hader of “Saturday Night Live” and Jermaine Clement of “Flight of the Concords” join the cast, which ensures an entertaining film.

June 8- “Prometheus”

This sci-fi thriller from the mind of Ridley Scott marks the director’a return to the genre he helped revolutionize in the 1970s and ’80s with “Blade Runner” and “Alien.” The film’s trailer is as creepy and intriguing as they come, with scary music, cut scenes and flashes of tension, but all without giving any of the plot away. The movie stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron on a ship bound on a scientific expedition to discover the origins of mankind. That’s the only synopsis Scott has allowed out, but the film promises to be fantastic.

June 29- “G.I. Joe: Retaliation”

The first film was surprisingly good, considering the extremely-low expectations of the movie-going public, and the sequel looks even better. Much of the cast of the first movie return, including action-movie-stud Channing Tatum, and adding Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Bruce Willis. The G.I. Joes are branded as traitors by an infiltrated American government, and the Joes must organize a second American Revolution in order to reclaim the world from the evil Cobra Command.

July 20- “The Dark Knight Rises”

It’s appropriate to end the list with the biggest one of all. The third and much-anticipated final entry into director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale’s Batman franchise finally hits theaters. Nolan has been slowly letting out details about the film, most completely insignificant, but regardless, the excitement and buzz have been growing. The previous cast returns, with the addition of Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy as Catwoman and Bane, respectively. The first two films in the series have set a ridiculously-high standard, making this one of the most exciting and anticipated premieres in years.

Contact Kevin Noonan at knoonan2@nd.edu

-

-

Movies to watch for this summer

Kevin Noonan | Monday, April 23, 2012

“The Avengers”

“Dark Shadows”

“Men in Black 3″

“Prometheus”

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation”

“The Dark Knight Rises”

Contact Kevin Noonan at knoonan2@nd.edu