ND Women's Golf: Andrews named Player of the Week

Leading Notre Dame to a 10th-place finish at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Classic at the University of Georgia from March 28 to April 1, freshman Ashley Armstrong tied for 13th place overall. For her performance, she was awarded Big East Player of the Week. Armstrong finished with an even-par 216 in the 18-team, 90-player field, consisting of 13 teams ranked in the top-50 nationally.

"I think it is great that Ashley was awarded this, because she deserves it," Irish coach Susan Holt said. "The tournament we played in Georgia was the toughest field of competition we have played all year. For Ashley to finish in the top-25 is a great accomplishment."

Despite receiving the award, Armstrong said she looks forward to contributing more to the team's success.

"I was very excited to win Player of the Week," Armstrong said. "It will be more important though that I play well at the Big East tournament to help out the team. It was awesome to be given this honor, but now I need to prove that I deserved it."

Holt said Armstrong's heavy focus on the team actually was a drawback in the fall season. Holt said she and Armstrong recognized the freshman's first two rounds were stronger than her final round in tournaments.

"Her struggle was playing too much for the team," Holt said. "Golf is a very individual sport, and I think Ashley realized her teammates were looking to her for a good score on the last day and she put too much pressure on herself."

Armstrong said she has been working on this issue.

"I need to overcome the pressure and weakness for the postseason tournament," Armstrong said.

Holt said Armstrong has already improved, and the problem is no longer a concern.

"She is a very consistent player for us now," Holt said. "In the fall season, she was struggling to produce good scores all three rounds, but we worked on it and she now has consistency."

Armstrong said her golf strength lies in her emotional stability on the course and not letting bad shots get to her.

Holt said her competitiveness has outweighed the struggles she had early.

"Ashley is a fierce competitor and has spectacular on-course demeanor," Holt said. "She has a great attitude and always gives 100 percent, so she is never out of it. Her competitive nature gets her through those tough rounds where not all of the shots are going her way, but she still comes out of it with a good score."

Armstrong said her golf game is marked by pattern of behavior on the course.

"I am a very superstitious player," Armstrong said. "There isn't necessarily anything I do before I tee off, but when I'm playing, I have to mark my ball on the right side of the Sharpie line on my ball, or else I will miss the putt. Also, on par-threes I have to use a broken tee, or else I feel like I won't hit a good shot."

With a fierce competitiveness and superstitious nature in tow, Armstrong will lead the Irish into the Big East championship at the Reunion Resort and Golf Club in Orlando, Fla. starting Sunday.