Monday, May 6, 2024

Not your average talent show

Legends Nightclub on campus regularly hosts popular musical acts and entertainers, but an atypical group of performers took the stage March 26: Notre Dame professors.

The First Year of Studies (FYS) and ND Ignite sponsored the "Professors Unplugged" talent show to allow members of Notre Dame's faculty to showcase their unique talents and hobbies that occupy their time outside the classroom, ranging from music to athletics to comedy.

The event also gave FYS students the opportunity to interact with their professors in a more informal setting.  

The multitalented FYS Dean Hugh Page opened the show by reciting several of his original poems and closed the evening with a performance by his blues band. 

Denise Della Rossa, associate professor and director of undergraduate studies in Notre Dame's German program, shared her love of long-distance running with the audience.

Sociology professor Eugene Halton demonstrated his harmonica skills for attendees, a talent cultivated since his years in graduate school at the University of Chicago.

The professor-performers advised students to focus on their personal talents and passions instead of getting caught up in activities that garner recognition.  Page said students should prioritize exploration of their passions over packing their schedule with uninspiring activities.

"I think what you have to do is find the courage to say no to some things, so you can say yes to yourself," he said.