-

-

Notes: Irish improve to 11-0 as top seed

Matthew Robison | Monday, April 2, 2012

DENVER – Notre Dame is now 11-0 in the NCAA Tournament as a No. 1 seed.

“I am just so proud of our team right now,” McGraw said. “At the end of regulation we had the game won with about 1:13 to go, and we simply gave it back to them.”

Back with a vengeance

The Irish advance to the national championship game for the second straight year. Last season, Notre Dame lost to Texas A&M in the title game.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had a group like this,” McGraw said. “They take such ownership. We play for each other. I want them to experience a national championship.”

Conquering the Huskies

Notre Dame went 3-1 against Connecticut this year. The Irish beat the Huskies twice during the regular season but lost in the Big East championship game.

“It’s great getting to the championship game and it’s the exact thing that happened last year,” Mallory said. “But we’ve had a battle with them all year. We played them three times before this game. And they won the last game that we had, that we faced each other.

Semifinal success

Notre Dame is now 3-0 all-time against Connecticut in national semifinals. The Irish beat the Huskies in 2011 as well as in 2001 en route to a national championship.

“I don’t really look at it that way because it’s over such a long span of time and they’re a program that’s here so often,” McGraw said. “It’s nice to be able to be a team that can actually beat them here.”

Stealing a victory

The Irish recorded 14 steals Sunday. Notre Dame has recorded a double-digit steals total 29 times this season.

“At the end I think our defense kind of led to our offense,” Peters said. “We got a couple steals, got out in transition, got some points. And it was good for us to get our momentum going.”