-

-

Off-campus blues

Meg Kowieski | Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I always knew my decision to move off campus would create a bit of non-literal distance between the independent off-campus life I wanted and the communal on-campus life I loved, but I never imagined that the immense alienation I have felt this year would be rooted in the dorm of which I still considered myself to be a part.

Declining my housing application for Walsh Hall this year came with the acceptance that I wouldn’t have the opportunity to live the life I grew accustomed to these past three years, complete with section dinners and group watches for trashy television in the 24-hour lounge.

Nonetheless, I still looked forward to the weekly emails of dorm happenings and the opportunities to partake in communal events like interhall sports and dances. However, my enthusiasm to remain active within Walsh, as I had seen my friends with their respective dorms, became quashed in the fall.

I was told that I was no longer considered a Walsh resident, and underclassmen complained until myself, and other off-campus seniors were allowed to partake in flag football.

Even now, this Letter to the Editor may be serving as the official notification to off-campus W.I.L.D. Women that our formal is this Saturday.

So, what exactly does barring us from events and teams accomplish, besides creating a rift in the community and a gap between under and upperclassmen? Should the one year I lived off-campus overshadow the three years I was a Walshie, simply because I lack the physical address?

The disparities growing between off-campus and on-campus residents are certainly becoming an issue. We’re not simply here to provide shelter from parietals. We still have things to offer and things we’d like to partake in. Residence halls should not be deciding what legacy I get to leave behind and what last memories I get to make. The level of involvement in dorm life for off-campus students should be decided by themselves.

All of you senior Walshies, whether on or off-campus, please redefine W.I.L.D. this weekend in solidarity.

Meg Kowieski

senior

off-campus

April 9