Saint Mary's prepares to welcome mothers

This weekend Saint Mary's will continue the tradition of welcoming mothers from across the nation as it celebrates Junior Moms Weekend.

The weekend, sponsored by the class of 2013, will feature fine dining, tea and a ring blessing ceremony.

Victoria Thompson, president of the class of 2013, said she is looking forward to this weekend's activities.

"[Vice president] Taylor Hans, my board and I started planning Junior Moms [Weekend] in November," Thompson said. "It's been a long process, but well worth it knowing that everyone will enjoy it in the end. "

A wine and cheese party kicks off the events Friday, she said. A silent auction will follow the tastings.

"I am excited for the wine and cheese [party and the] silent auction," Thompson said. "Due to the generosity of parents and some local businesses, we were able to put together 45 great baskets. I am anxious to see how much money we will be able to raise."

Thompson said Saturday's events will be highlighted by the blessing of the rings ceremony. The tradition has not been held for several years, she said.

"We really pushed for the ceremony because we felt that our class rings are an important part of our connection to Saint Mary's, as current students and after we graduate," she said.

Other events for the weekend include a tour of the Riedinger House, a tea party and a formal dinner at the Hilton Garden Inn, she said.

"We were able to come up with some really great ideas this year," Thompson said. "We have a photo booth, a candy bar, [2011 Notre Dame graduate] Zach DuBois will be performing and our place cards are photo booth-sized picture frames for everyone to keep."

Junior Caroline Keep said she has looked forward to this event since freshman year.

"I'm looking forward to spending the weekend with my mom and having her meet all my friends and their moms," Keep said. "I think junior moms weekend is a wonderful tradition at Saint Mary's ... and it will be a memory we hold onto forever."

Thompson said this tradition supports the college's emphasis on strong women leaders and role models.

"I believe it's common that many daughters look up to their mothers as a role model," Thompson said. "Each student is able to meet her friend's mothers and learn about each of them, what they do in their every day lives and increase her knowledge of what women can do to have a positive effect on our world."