Worst Week Ever

Republicans and mommies around the world gasped in united offense. M.R.S.-degree candidates fainted in horror. The Democratic National Committee sprinted into action. Mama Obama hit her Twitter feed hard.

When Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen opened her mouth on CNN Wednesday night and let slip a less-than-politically-correct comment, the political gods that be began molding and folding their responses in true partisan fashion. Abandoned and alone, the once prominent pundit Rosen is having the Worst Week Ever.

In a pointed comment calling out Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for his underdeveloped understanding of women, Rosen said his perspective was obviously skewed since his wife Ann, a stay-at-home-mom, has "never actually worked a day in her life." Oh no she didn't!

Mommy Romney, perfectly groomed and poised like her polished hubby, responded in a politically savvy fashion.

"My career choice was to be a mother," she said on Fox News.

"And I think all of us need to know that we need to respect choices that women make. Other women make other choices to have a career and raise a family, which I think Hilary Rosen has actually done herself. I respect that. It's wonderful."

And from then on, the issue was no longer about the economics of women, but instead who could suck up to progenitors more profusely.

Mama Obama quickly told her tweeps, "Every mother works hard, and every woman deserves to be respected."

The White House disowned and disaffiliated itself from anything Rosen, claiming records that tracked numerous visits from a certain "Hilary Rosen" could be numerous Hilary Rosens.

Democratic National Committee chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz also took to Twitter and said, "As a mother of three there's no doubt that raising children is work."

Ann tweeted, "I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work."

And for Ann, it certainly has been a handful. No matter how beautiful those Romney boys might be, there are five of them - who were born over an 11-year time span. Just as one became potty trained, another started using diapers. Just as one matured, another hit puberty. Just as one graduated college, another began. And if they're as big of pranksters as their daddy claims to be, there's no doubt Ann had her fair share of headaches.

However, Rosen's point was bigger than simply telling Mommy Romney that by not working for a paycheck, she's led a privileged life. Rosen was arguing that more attention needs to be paid to women who are both bread bakers and breadwinners.

Her argument was well-intentioned, though the delivery was a little rough. The female vote is going to be crucial to whoever eventually calls the White House home in January, and Romney would be wise to heed Rosen's message.

Unfortunately for Hilary, this week proved that every Rosen has its thorns. While her point might have been valid, no one seems to be getting past its prickly language. Here's to hoping she irons out the message before she's doomed to the political grave.