Sunday, May 12, 2024

Alumnae Association names 'Outstanding Senior'

Saint Mary's senior AnabelCastañeda received this year's Outstanding Senior Award at the Alumnae-Senior Champagne Brunch on Monday.

A political science and communication studies double major, Castañeda was recognized for her involvement in the Student Government Association (SGA), her studies abroad and her service as the president of the Political Science Club.

Selected by the College's Alumnae Association Board of Directors, the Outstanding Senior Award recipient is nominated by peers, faculty and staff and exemplifies the values and spirit of Saint Mary's.

According to a College press release, Castañeda carries out the beliefs of her faith in daily living and is distinguished by scholarship, leadership and outstanding dedication to Saint Mary's, evident through her participation in curricular and extracurricular activities.

"Everyone here is outstanding, that's what makes Saint Mary's unique," Castañeda said. "Receiving this award is a great way for me to look back at my time at Saint Mary's and know I left a piece of me behind."

Castañeda's award citation notes that her beauty is shown through her everyday interactions, including encouraging words, a hug, a smile or lending a hand to others, according to the release.

Castañeda's peers nominated her for her commitment to enhancing the Saint Mary's experience.

"She is committed to making Saint Mary's the very best for all students. She actively recruits prospective students, hosting them overnight and giving them a wonderful experience. It is clear that she holds the College close to her heart," a student nominator said.

Since her first year on campus, Castañeda has served in several leadership roles, including her positions as international commissioner for Student Government Association and as president and treasurer of Al-Zahra, a club that celebrates North African and Middle Eastern traditions. Castañeda also earned an Intercultural Leadership Certificate through the Center for Women's Intercultural Leadership.

"When they describe the award as the heart of Saint Mary's, it's a lot of pressure," Castañeda said. "It's incredible to be honored with this award, especially considering they only choose one senior per year."

Castañeda said her Saint Mary's experience and future goals were influenced by the work of College President Carol Ann Mooney.

"President Mooney is my inspiration. I'd love to be president of the College one day," Castañeda said. "I love that she is a Belle and a strong part of the College like us."

After studying abroad in Ireland during her time at Saint Mary's, Castañeda will return to the country after graduation for a three-month internship at the U.S. Embassy this summer.