ND Softball: Nonconference game cancelled due to rain

Due to pending rain, Notre Dame's matchup against Northern Illinois was canceled Tuesday. The Irish will attempt to overcome the consistently poor weather in the South Bend area Wednesday to round out their homestand with a game against Eastern Michigan at 6 p.m.

The last time the Irish (32-13, 13-3 Big East) were scheduled to play the Eagles (21-30, 7-23 MAC) was last March, when the doubleheader meant to open Notre Dame's home schedule was cancelled due to inclement weather.

In the 15 meetings between the two programs, the Irish have dominated, 13-2. The last successful meeting was March 23, 2010, where Notre Dame cruised to a 9-3 lead over the Eagles.

The Irish are currently sporting an 11-game winning streak and are 24-3 in conference play. Notre Dame is currently ranked third in Big East standings, behind Lousiville (47-2, 17-2) and South Florida (44-8, 16-3).

The success of the Irish team has moved the spotlight onto a couple of key players. Senior infielder Dani Miller set a program record April 24 when she hit her 10th home run of the season, becoming the first player in Notre Dame history to notch double-digit home runs in all four years as a college athlete.

Sophomore pitcher Laura Winter has also made a name for herself, pitching the first no-hitter at Melissa Cook Stadium on April 21. Winter is the most recent Big East Pitcher of the Week.

After the matchup against Eastern Michigan, Notre Dame will wrap up their conference schedule in Pittsburgh with three matchups against the Panthers (25-22, 8-11).

The Irish have already qualified for the Big East championship, which will begin on May 10 at Notre Dame.