We are a family

Editor's Note: To view the complete list of 1,700 signatures, please visit The Observer's website at ndsmcobserver.com

Monday night, I was disappointed and ashamed of my University and of my classmates. I, along with forty of my peers, learned that we have a classmate choosing to transfer away from Notre Dame because of their sexual orientation. Not because of what the administration does or doesn't do, but because of their classmates. They feel that their friends and peers don't support them. The fact that a single person feels that way is a serious problem, and one we need to rectify. We have not been vocal enough.
So, I began circulating a letter, not in protest of anything, but in support of each other. The letter received an overwhelming response and I am so proud of my peers. More than 1,200 signatures were gathered in less than 12 hours. I am sure that, given more time, there would be hundreds more. There were so many, in fact, that The Observer was unable to print them today due to lack of space. What an amazing testament to our community! I encourage everyone to go online to see them. I have been inspired and amazed by the compassion of my classmates.
Whether or not we agree with the idea of adding a non-discrimination clause or an official GSA, there is one thing we seem to agree on. We are a family. This is not about religious or political beliefs. This is about being a decent human being. It is about doing the right thing. Our students are willing to stand up and sign their names so that everyone they encounter here knows that they are not alone.

Heather Eaton
sophomore
Cavanaugh Hall
May 1