B1 lineup gets mixed reviews

Kristen Durbin | Friday, August 24, 2012

The first official weekend of the school year is just around the corner, and Saturday’s B1 Block Party will once again kick off the semester with an outdoor concert and festivities.

Presented by Legends of Notre Dame, this year’s edition of the party will feature rock group Boys Like Girls as its headliner, with electronic-pop duo Breathe Carolina opening the evening alongside several Notre Dame student bands.

In addition to musical entertainment, the B1 Block Party boasts a rock wall, corn hole and a Euro Bungee trampoline, according to the Legends website. Students of legal drinking age can enjoy a cold brew in the Legends beer garden, as well.

Past incarnations of the event featured musical groups like Girl Talk, Guster, Matisyahu and Eric Hutchinson, but reception for this year’s lineup has been mixed among students.

Freshman Tony Maley said the bands chosen disappointed him, but plans to still attend with friends to enjoy music he has not heard since middle school.

“They had a couple hits, a few songs, and they haven’t really been relevant since,”
Maley said. “It will be fun to hear some songs that were cool back in eighth grade, but the picks weren’t great, I’d say.”

Junior Elizabeth Owers said she didn’t think this year’s musical lineup was worth the $10 entrance fee.

“I went to the concert the past two years, and I had a good time because I went with my friends and it was fun because of the atmosphere,” she said. “But I prefer to do something else on Saturday night, and I don’t want to pay $10 … to see a band I’m not a huge fan of.”

Junior Anna Carmack said she doesn’t plan on attending, based on the level of student excitement for the show.

“I didn’t really know Girl Talk that well either, but I’d heard of them,” she said. “I went to Girl Talk last year because friends were going and people were excited, but I haven’t really heard that much excitement about Boys Like Girls.”

Although other students were unenthused about the selection of Boys Like Girls, sophomore Laura Gardner said the lack of space at last year’s event was a bigger deal breaker for her decision not to attend this year’s Block Party.

“It’s like millions of dancing jellybeans inside a taco shell,” Gardner said.

Sophomore Joe Corsaro said his disappointing time at last year’s Block Party would discourage him from attending again this weekend.

“I would rather sit through College ‘HAS’ Issues another time than go to the Block
Party again,” Corsaro said.

Junior Marye Colleen Larme said she still plans to attend the event.

“I never miss an opportunity to go to a concert,” she said.

News writers Tori Roeck and Dan Brombach contributed to this report.