Sunday, May 12, 2024

College welcomes intelligent, athletic freshman class

When the Class of 2016 arrives at Saint Mary's this week, the incoming freshmen will be a part of one of the largest and most unique classes in school history.

Director of Admission Kristin McAndrew said the College is welcoming 418 freshmen to the school this week. This number is slightly larger than the 396 students in the Class of 2015.

"This number exceeds the goal set by the college each year, which is phenomenal," McAndrew said. "For our admission team, however, welcoming new students into our community is more than reaching that magic number. Gaining young women into a community that they will excel in is our main goal."

Several members of the Class of 2016 stand out as athletes on the national and international level.

"[One freshman] was in the Michigan top five archers for 2010 and 2011 and was also in the top 10 in the U.S. for 2011," McAndrew said. "Two students represented Team USA for synchronized skating and have competed internationally, and another student is ranked in the top 10 percent of the tri-athletes in her age group nationally."

Another incoming freshman is a collaborator on an urban concept vehicle, McAndrew said.

In overall academics, the Class of 2016 averaged a 3.75 GPA. McAndrew said the incoming freshmen ranked in the top 19 percent of their high school classes, and they scored an average of 1960 on their SATs.

But Saint Mary's students are also active outside the classroom, McAndrew said.

"Out of the incoming students, many have been involved with community service as well as religious services prior to admission at Saint Mary's," McAndrew said. "This stands out to the admissions team greatly. We are able to see the caliber of young women that apply to Saint Mary's and see how well they will fit into our community. Many of our students come to Saint Mary's with service already on their brains."

The Class of 2016 will include students from 32 states and five countries other than the United States.

"We have incoming first years from China, Jordan, Myanmar, Nicaragua and Spain," McAndrew said. "The international studies were very attracted to the attention Saint Mary's gives to global education."

This international community will fit well with the College's dedication to "global education," McAndrew said.

"More than half of Saint Mary's students study abroad during the four years spent at the college," McAndrew said.

McAndrew said 97 members of the incoming class have at least one alumnae relation from the school, and 63 members are first-generation college students.

For the admissions team, McAndrew said move-in day is an exciting way to welcome the incoming freshmen to Saint Mary's.

"The entire staff agrees that this is the most fun day for all of us," McAndrew said. "We are thrilled to welcome our incoming students as they drive up the Avenue and begin their collegiate career inside the halls of Saint Mary's College."