Contraception is sinful

To quote the Catechism of the Catholic Church, "The innate language that expresses the total reciprocal self-giving of husband and wife is overlaid, through contraception, by an objectively contradictory language, namely, that of not giving oneself totally to the other. This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love" (2370).
Paraphrasing, contraception is sinful. "[W]e have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them ... ?" (1868). Cooperating in the use of contraception by others is a sin. As a Catholic institution, the University would contradict its values by providing contraceptives. Moral philosophy has quite the burden to overcome this straightforward teaching of the Church. Also, note the University is not preventing non-Catholics from obtaining contraceptives elsewhere and thus is not subjecting non-Catholics to Catholic conscience.
I am not familiar with the quality and affordability of insurance for graduate students and their families at Notre Dame. However, "the University should not provide contraceptives" and "the University should provide better healthcare to student-families" are different normative statements. The latter is beyond the scope.
Finally, consider the irony of all this. Looking back to The Observer in 2009, Fr. Jenkins was criticized for conferring an honorary degree on President Obama. Three years later, Fr. Jenkins filed a lawsuit against him. Maybe Fr. Jenkins would have joined the 20-plus seniors who boycotted their graduation and instead held a Vigil for Life at the Grotto. I recognize the Church's teachings and Notre Dame's efforts are not popular. The numbers are staggering for the use of artificial contraceptives both within and outside of marriage for Catholics and non-Catholics alike. However, I applaud the University's efforts to live out fully and faithfully the teachings of the Church.
Brett Ubl
junior
Fisher Hall
Aug. 28