-

-

Eddy Street stores diversify

Mel Flanagan | Thursday, August 30, 2012

Eddy Street Commons will enhance its options for students with two new additions this fall. GNC, a nutritional supplement distributor, will open in the complex tomorrow, and popular convenience store 7-Eleven will open mid-October.

Andrew Hasbrook, in-house leasing manager of Kite Realty, said many businesses vied to fill the open spots in Eddy Street Commons.

“The landlord has worked with thousands of interested parties since the onset of the development and continues to do so, working to provide the best mix for the shopping center, on-site residents and office employees at Eddy Street, the community of South Bend and for the student body,” Hasbrook said.

The realty chose GNC and 7-Eleven for their national recognition and the convenience they will offer nearby students and homeowners, Hasbrook said.

“GNC will offer health and nutrition supplements that are very popular, especially to a younger demographic,” he said. “7-Eleven will provide students, residents and office employees a convenience store within walking distance.”

Greg Hakanen, director of asset management and real estate development for Notre Dame, said the University has no ability to influence the businesses chosen for Eddy Street Commons.

“As the developer of Eddy Street Commons, Kite Realty Group is providing all of the capital, doing all of the work and taking all of the risk,” Hakanen said. “As a result, Kite has – must have – full authority to lease and manage the property in a commercially-viable manner.”

While the University did not have input in the decision, Hakanen said he is satisfied with the choices Kite Realty has made.

But Kite Realty did take student preferences into account while choosing new tenants for the complex. Student body president Brett Rocheleau said student government had been in contact with Lori Wick, director of marketing for Kite Realty, about what businesses students would like to add to the Eddy Street development.

“[We said] we would like a convenience store,” Rocheleau said. “Something you can just get groceries from or little things students can’t get at the Huddle. It would provide that advantage for students that live on campus.”

Rocheleau said 7-Eleven and GNC would benefit all students, regardless of where they live.

“I think it’s really convenient for students that live on campus, as well as off campus, like on Notre Dame Avenue,” Rocheleau said. “It’ll also be good for students that live there at the Foundry and on Eddy Street.”

Hasbrook said three empty storefronts remain at Eddy Street Commons – a 2,367-square-foet space between Old National Band and 7-Eleven, 2,895 squar-feet between Urban Outfitters and Brothers Bar and Grill and a 1,099-square-foet opening east of Brothers facing Napoleon Street.

“[There is] no news as to who will fill these spots at this point, but Kite is evaluating several options for them currently,” Hasbrook said.