From your student government

Welcome back!
One of our administration's main goals this year is to improve the communication between the Notre Dame student body and Student Government. To that end, Student Government is very excited to update you on some of the initiatives we have already accomplished since taking office on April 1st, as well as our plans for the upcoming semester.
Some new everyday conveniences that you may notice around campus include hydration stations in every dorm and new food vendors in LaFortune. One of Notre Dame's top priorities is to continue making campus more sustainable. Thanks to funding from the Office of Housing, we are one step closer to this goal, saving tens of thousands of plastic water bottles since the hydration stations were installed this summer. For your eating enjoyment, a Taco Bell/Pizza Hut has recently opened in the basement of LaFortune, and a Panda Express is coming soon.
Student Government has also been busy behind the scenes, working on initiatives that may not be as visible to students. The OIT freshmen security trainings have been reformed and switched to in-hall trainings. We have also worked with the Gender Relations Center on improving sexual assault resource trainings for RAs. We hope that these sorts of changes will pervade the campus as a whole to create a safer living environment.
Finally, our administration has focused heavily on strengthening our off-campus relations through meetings with the local chiefs of police. Be on the lookout for an email with important information about staying safe off-campus.
In the coming semester, Student Government's main focus will be on expanding inclusion in the Notre Dame family, ensuring that all students feel welcome on campus. We will approach this from two different angles: first, through actively supporting the establishment of a Gay-Straight Alliance student organization, in partnership with the Four to Five Movement, and secondly, through continued support of the Call to Action movement which began last spring.
As we work with the University on both of these issues, we hope you will tell us your ideas on ways to make sure our campus is as welcoming and friendly as possible. We promise to keep you updated on processes and decisions made by the University and look forward to hearing your feedback throughout the semester! If there is ever anything you want to see improved or changed here at Notre Dame, don't hesitate to visit us in 203 LaFortune - our door is always open!

Brett Rocheleau
Student body president

Katie Rose
Student body vice president
Aug. 23, 2012